I am so sick and tired of hearing about “Black Monday” and “Cyber Friday” oh, did I get my scheduling wrong? I showed them, I did my shopping on “Small Business Saturday.” This shopping event was organized by the not-so-small business American Express. Basically, you had to sign up for the privilege of using their credit card at a participating small business and you get a refund of $25.
This past week’s Green Living class was focused on my favorite subject, transportation. Ever since I was a young’in I have loved cars. Many pictures showcased me clutching a Matchbox or Hotwheel car. I had a race car bed and created traffic jams in the entryway of my house with those Matchbox and Hotwheels. Luckily, no one in my family ever tripped on them while navigating in and out of the front door.
Waste was the topic of this weeks Green Living Course (previous course Energy)
Here are some scary factiods:
- Despite recycling, the average person worldwide generates twice as much trash today as in 1960.
- There is 6 times more plastic floating in the ocean than plankton.
- 16,000 plastic bags are used per second worldwide
- The US has 5% of the world’s population but consumes 30% of the world’s resources and creates 30% of the world’s waste.
- Californian’s throw away more than 5 million tons of food scraps each yea
- If everyone on Earth consumed like the average American it would require 3 to 5 planets.