Kale abounds in the GreenUp! garden. Not only is it super nutritious, it’s also pretty easy to grow. But as yummy as kale salads are, they can get a bit dull, and they’re kind of hard to eat on the run. (Picture GreenUp! Guy biking all over town with a fork and bowl? Don’t think so.) But who wants to spend $8 a bag on health food store kale chips that are gone after one 3pm snack fest?
If you have 10 minutes, a toaster oven, a box of mac ‘n cheese, and a bunch of kale from your urban garden, you’ve got yourself a DIY portable powerhouse treat for under $4 a pop. And even those super healthy gourmet chips taste “processed” compared to your own fresh out of the oven!
- Preheat oven or toaster oven to 375.
- Start with one bunch of organic curly kale. (We can show you how).
- You just want the curly green parts, so strip the kale from the thick spine running down the center as well as any other thick veins running through the leaves.
- Throw the curly parts into a large zip lock bag. Add instant packet of mac ‘n cheese sauce from any box of organic mac ‘n cheese or vegan mac ‘n cheese.
- Add 1 T of high heat oil (avocado, safflower, grape seed) per bunch of curly kale.
- Seal the zip lock bag shut and shake-shake-shake.
- Line your toaster oven tray/baking sheet with aluminum foil and spread your kale out evenly across the surface. For optimal results, don’t let your kale touch.
- Cook for approximately 2 minutes, and then stir kale around with a wooden spoon.
- Cook for approximately 3 more minutes until slightly crispy.
- Set out to cool and enjoy!
For less sodium and an extra health infusion switch out half the mac ‘n cheese powder with nutritional yeast (B-vitamins, folic acid, selenium, zinc, and protein). Or add a dash of red pepper flakes to kick it up a notch. You can also crunch this up and add to organic popcorn for your next movie-going adventure.